15/04/02

We believe that we should work to be happy, but could that be backwards? In this fast-moving and entertaining talk, psychologist Shawn Achor argues that actually happiness inspires productivity.

.

Glossary

  • bunk bed
  • avert – prevent or ward off (an undesirable occurrence)
  • stumble across – to find someone or something, usually by accident
  • resiliencythe ability to overcome challenges of all kinds and bounce back stronger, wiser, and more personally powerful.
  • glean – obtain (information) from various sources, often with difficulty
  • retain – continue to have (something); keep possession of
  • ripple

.

Think about it

Answer the questions below.

  • Summarise Shawn’s childhood story.
  • What does the graph show?
  • What does Shawn say about psychologists?
  • In what way is scientific data related to the average value?
  • What is the “medical school syndrome” and how did it affect Bobo?
  • What does 90% of our happiness depend on? What about the remaining 10%?
  • In what way has the modern put the idea of happiness backwards?
  • How can you train your brain to become more positive?

.

Practice makes perfect

Fill in the blank spaces with the missing words. Use ONE word per blank space.

When I was seven years ________ and my sister was just five years old, we were playing ________ top of a bunk bed. I was two years older than my sister at ________ time — I mean, I’m two years older ________ her now — but at the time it meant she had to do everything that I wanted to do, and I wanted to ________ war. So we were up on top of our bunk beds. And on one side of the bunk bed, I had put out all of my G.I. Joe soldiers and weaponry. And on the other side were all my sister’s My Little Ponies ready for a cavalry charge.

There are differing accounts of what actually happened that afternoon, but ________ my sister is not here with us today, let me tell you the true story — (Laughter) which is my sister’s a little on the clumsy side. Somehow, without any help or push from her older brother at all, Amy disappeared off of the top of the bunk bed and landed with this crash on the floor. I nervously peered ________ the side of the bed to see what ________ befallen my fallen sister and saw that she ________ landed painfully on her hands and knees ________ all fours on the ground.

.

Explore it more

Here’s a little song I wrote
You might want to sing it note for note
Don’t worry be happy
In every life we have some trouble
When you worry you make it double
Don’t worry, be happy
(Don’t worry, be happy now)

Don’t worry
Be happy
Don’t worry, be happy
Don’t worry
Be happy
Don’t worry, be happy

Ain’t got no place to lay your head
Somebody came and took your bed
Don’t worry, be happy
The land lord say your rent is late
He may have to litigate
Don’t worry, be happy
(Look at me I am happy)

Don’t worry, be happy
Here I give you my phone number
When you worry call me
I make you happy

Don’t worry, be happy

Ain’t got no cash, ain’t got no style
Ain’t got no girl to make you smile
But don’t worry be happy
Cause when you worry
Your face will frown
And that will bring everybody down
So don’t worry, be happy
(don’t worry, be happy now)

Don’t worry
Be happy
Don’t worry, be happy
Don’t worry
Be happy
Don’t worry, be happy

[*4th verse not in radio edit]
Now there is this song I wrote
I hope you learn it note for note
Like good little children
Don’t worry, be happy
Listen to what I say
In your life expect some trouble
When you worry
You make it double
But don’t worry
Be happy, be happy now

Don’t worry
Be happy
Don’t worry, be happy
Don’t worry
Be happy
Don’t worry, be happy

[Radio edit continues here]
Don’t worry
Don’t worry don’t do it, be happy
Put a smile on your face
Don’t bring everybody down like this

Don’t worry
It will soon pass whatever it is
Don’t worry, be happy
I’m not worried, I’m happy

source: http://www.lyricsondemand.com/onehitwonders/dontworrybehappylyrics.html

(749)